Oranges and Lemons: Castanets and Scrapers - Peter Foss and Barrie Carson Turner
Most people will, at one time or another, have sung the nursery rhymes and songs in this book. These traditional songs have been passed down for many generations and often exist in several versions, each quite different to the other.
Although the tunes of the songs remain as fresh as ever, the original words can, however, mean very little to a young child. Often the true meaning of the lyrics has become confused over the years and occasionally the implications of the words are simply not in keeping with contemporary tastes.
The aim of Oranges and Lemons has been to produce a book with lively songs and easy percussion parts for children to play along with their parents and teachers. The blending of the traditional tunes and new lyrics gives both adult and child a 'head start' - almost everybody will know Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, Old MacDonald Had a Farm and so on. It also means that the new words can relate directly to today's world.
The percussion suggestions are aimed at classroom and school concert performance. Each percussion indication is set out clearly in the teacher's notes and, of course, all the parts are easy enough to be taught by rote. Teachers and parents will find the songs in this book refreshing to sing and stimulating to teach.
1) Castanets And Scrapers (Oranges And Lemons)
2) The Zoo (Old King Cole)
3) Counting Song (Georgie Porgie)
4) Five Feathered Friends (Little Bo-Peep)
5) We Don’t Mind The Rain (Baa Baa Black Sheep)
6) Song Of The Snowflakes (Little Polly Finders)
7) Going To The Seaside (Sing A Song Of Sixpence)
8) In The Springtime (London Bridge Is Falling Down)
9) I Spy With My Little Eye (Hickory Dickory Dock)
10) Holidays Are Lots Of Fun (Polly, Put The Kettle On)
12) Happy,Happy Birthday (Goosey Goosey Gander)
13) It’s A Bright New Day Today (Boys And Girls Come Out To Play)
14) One Day We Saw A Hen (The Grand Old Duke Of York)
15) Our School Band (Old MacDonald Had A Farm)
16) Crash! Go The Cymbals (Pop Goes The Weasel)
17) The Two Cats (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)
18) Tick-Tock Nine O’clock (Nick Nack Paddy Wack)
19) We Know Our Alphabet (Oh, Dear What Can The Matter Be?)
20) The Sky Is Wearing Brand New Clothes Today (Michael Finnigan)