Selfish Giant, The - By Sheila Wilson
This musical retells the beautiful story by Oscar Wilde of a selfish giant whose heart is melted by a group of children who play in his garden.
Sheila Wilson has written nine suitably beautiful and memorable songs for this simple play, to create a performance that will never be forgotten.
The cast-list is small but there are many opportunities for dance and creative movement as well as singing. This is one of Sheila's most praised musicals and is ideal for any time of year, particularly Summer Term performances or as an alternative to traditional Christmas and Easter plays. It sensitively includes a theme of death and life-after-death, making it invaluable for citizenship or bereavement (or, again, Easter) but the overwhelming atmosphere is one of peace, joy and the great value of children.
Approximate Duration: 45 minutes
1) The Selfish Giant Theme (Instrumental)
2) Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted! (Giant, Children and Choir (two parts))
6) The Search (Giant and Choir; Optional instrumental)
8) Paradise (Children and Choir; Instrumental)
9) You’re Welcome Too! (Choir and Whole Cast; Instrumental and Hand-jives)